Friday, August 7, 2009

Card Patterns #26 ...the {gift card} inspires the holder

OoooH gift cards! I LOVE them...to give or receive, I love a gift card, especially if it's a cute design. Thanks to the sketch challenge over at Card Patterns, it was time to put a starbucks gift card I had been saving for inspiration to work for today's project....a gift card holder!
THIS
plus THIS:
EQUALS =
Eeek! It's a gift card holder but wait, there's more... you see, I wanted it to be able to hold some surprises so I used the sketch to inspire some interactive layers. Yay! That's FUN!

The stars are a disguise for the VELCRO tab (love velcro for an inexpensive closure).

Lookey here at all the little alcoves where I will tuck a message or another gift card or a photo or...well, you get the idea ;) The starbucks gift card is slid into the pocket I made with the cardboard adhered to the kraft cardstock using a strong liquid glue...scotch tacky adhesive.

Here it is re-belted but left spread open to show off some of the layers separately. Aside from the fun way to open and close this card, I am LOVING the distressed and painted cardboard (I warned you I would be using this again in {this post}), the vintage book print (upside down since what it says is not relevant here) and the silhouetted stars and sentiment from Papertrey Ink. Isn't that swirly font on the sentiment totally fun?!

OK, peeps! I'm out of here for now. Thanks for stopping by today...now go out there and make it YOUR day!
Supplies:
Paper: Papertrey Ink and vintage book print
Stamps: Papertrey Ink
Ink: SU and Memories
Punch: CM
Other: acrylic paint, velcro, paper piercer

10 comments:

Ann said...

Dana, this is entirely too fabulous! LOVE all the layers and interactive goodness. And the paint? Shut up!!!!

Karen said...

WOW, Dana!!! ............ I think you've left, even me, speechless!! Loved the design of the gift card holder....BEFORE I realized that it opened up and offered all kinds of possibilities! Love the punch of color from your stars and the painted cardboard.....sigh, lots of yummy sighs. :>:>

whoistracy said...

Oh you are just so creative!! What a fabulous idea. I love the bright colors on kraft and how you can still SEE the giftcard and that it has actually become part of the design.

Elise said...

Speechless: in Cotati! That's me. WOW, GIRLY! I hadn't recovered from the last card! Hold me!

LOVE IT, LOVE YOU! Love your show!

Rosemary said...

Good grief!! Your gift cardholder is amazing!! So creative, clever, inventive, etc. Love it!!

tg said...

Cute Dana. Such a fun way to give a gift card. I think you have earned a trip to scrap supply heaven...what do you day?

tg said...

Say, not Day. It is Friday...and almost 5pm.

Lisa Kind said...

Very clever idea, Dana! You are just one crafty girl!

Katerfly said...

Very clever idea for a gift card. I always do the same little pouch with a fold over "lid". This is a really cute way to present such a cool looking gift card. Why cover it up by sticking inside a pouch where you can't see it till you pull it out? Thanks for sharing!

Kelley Eubanks said...

This is wonderful Dana! Man... you are AWESOME! I just love everything you make. Great idea to turn the paper upside down because it wasn't relevant... will have to remember that trick. I was here a few minutes ago and then my computer started opening all of these new windows before I could comment. I seriously need a rebuild!