Friday, June 24, 2011

Just Us Girls #90 it's 3-D time!



Hey Just Us Girls fans! Here in the US, Independence day is soon to be here on July 4th.  Maria is challenging us to make a 4th of July inspired 3D or template project or a patriotic project representing where you live.  Also, Maria, our very own  {ippity} chick is offering a fabulous prize to one lucky participant!  Now that's something to wave your crafty flag about! 



I was humming the national anthem through the construction of this banner display that began a few months ago when I found this cool red, white, and blue folding yardstick.  It was all a breeze from there!


I made a handful of hand colored red, white and blue twine inspired by this tutorial (darn I can't find where I saw the tutorial!  I'll keep looking in order to give credit as soon as I can).



I made my twine easily using the Tim Holtz grid ruler, zig scroll and brush markers and cotton twine.  I used the ruler grid to make even ink marks all the way around.  Use a juicy marker to saturate the twine through with color.  I also scribbled color direct to the ruler under the twine to help get even application.



Fun right?



THEN, I punched a bunch of various sized red and blue stars and sewed a paper garland on my sewing machine by feeding the stars through one after the other.  I admit, I held my breath waiting for the big rat's nest of thread to appear in the spaces between the stars, but, to my happy surprise, it worked perfectly!


This fun pinwheel was made using paper I printed from this PDF download.



And finally, I layered up some glittered chipboard, star embossed paper, mini tinsel garland and the heart doily as focal points to my pennants.



Wa-lah!  It's like the gateway to the county 4th of July festival sitting right on my mantel!  Now which way to the pie eating contest? ;)
Ready for more sweetness from the Just Us Girls crew?
and our esteemed guest designer this month, Rosemary!

Thanks so much for coming by!

Photobucket
Paper: Papertrey Ink and Creative Memories
Dies: Spellbinders and Sizzix
Punch: SU!
Bling: Want2Scrap
chipboard: Joanns
Glitter: Martha Stewart
Embosser: Cuttlebug
Craft Supplies: mini tinsel garland, hot glue gun, glitter glue, cotton twine, markers

Photobucket

7 comments:

Creative Mayhem said...

Paper wheels, banner, glitter, colored twine = BEAUTIFUL! Excellent job on the 3-D challenge. This is just YUMMY!!! Looks great on your mantel and LOVE the tutorial. I'm going to play with my markers and twine now. HELLO!!

Rebekah said...

How awesome is this??!!!
I love everything about it.. and that tip about making your own coloured twine is amazing.. the possibilities are endless:)

Rosemary said...

woweee!!! what an amazing project, dana!! you and elise are just way too clever and creative!!

Elise said...

SUCH a clever girl, Dane - HONESTLY! This is SUCH a drippy with richly inspirational and WONDERFUL inspiration - TO THE STARS and BEYOND - YOU are AWESOME! This is a FESTIVAL for the crafty mind: I could stare at the details and beautiful construction of this outstanding piece FOR hours! Yipeeee AND Yeahooooo!

Lisa Kind said...

Dana! You are just so clever, I can't stand it! You always put so much blood, sweat, and tears into your projects! I love this! That twine is fabulous! Love the stars stitched and strung up! What a fabulous project!

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Dana,
Wow that is a fabulous tip on how to color your own twine with a ruler and makers. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles, Paula

Andrea M said...

WOW!!! Dana, girl, this is festive, fun and patriotic beyond all measure (get it? LOL!!!). Thanks for sharing the tip on coloring the twine! I am so going to use that idea!!! You are a genius!!!! GORGEOUS work friend!!!