Friday, March 12, 2010

Just Us Girls Technique Challenge #24....Let's go fly a kite!

Hello friends!  The moment I saw Courtney Baker's(Practicing Creativity) stamp set called You're Dandy I have been humming the tune from Mary Poppins called Let's go Fly a Kite!  Watch this for a little bit of musical joy today:


Don't you just feel like, well, going outside to fly a kite??  I love that song and my girls and I love to sing it.

Oh wait, you might be here for the newest in challenges from Just Us Girls.  :) This week it is a technique called a Flap Card. (Check out Splitcoast Stampers for a great tutorial).  Our super talented Pam is your lovely hostess this week!
 

I wanted to make my flap a part of the card "scene" so I put it on the bottom, thus making a green hill dotted with french knotted yellow flowers and a fabby wood and felt flower I recived from my blog friend Jane!

I wanted the card to be pretty when either opened or closed.  Once the flap is opened, the sky has been revealed in it's entirity.  Aren't those ray like lines cool?  Courtney's stamp set includes two sizes of rays to create various ultra cool stamped backgrounds.  I used Papertrey paper and ink in aqua mist.

The kite was stamped on DP and detail cut and the clouds were stamped with both a solid and outline image and then embossed in spots to give a varied white and texture within each cloud.  I stamped the kite tail bows first in white pigment ink and then yellow dye ink direct to the background and then they were detailed with a black fine line pen.

Ready for more Just Us Girls project details?  Be sure and check out the DT project details at their blogs and then make a flap card to share with us.  Enter the link to your project on our Inlinkz tool  on the Just Us Girls Challenge blog.  Can't wait to see what you make!


Thanks so much for coming by today!  Have a great one :)

EDITED:  Oh my!  When I went to add my card to the Practicing Creativity flickr group I realized that my card above had been very inspired by THIS ONE from Ms Courtney Baker herself!  Apparently her style stuck in my mind.  If you like my card, you'll love Court's version!  Nothing like being inspired by the stamp creator herself  :)  Thanks for the constant stream of creativity, girlie!

Supplies:
Stamps: Practicing Creativity
Paper: Papertrey Ink
Ink: Stampin Up
Punch: Fiskars and CM
Craft Supplies: clothespin flower, embroidery floss, trim, magnet closure (Basic Gray)

Photobucket

14 comments:

Karen H. said...

I *love* this card. So fun!

Karen said...

I'm *almost* off to bed and *was* going to come back and comment tomorrow.........but, then I *SAW* your card, you fabulous, fun, and dandy scene and I *had* to comment!! ...'cause I love it!!! Love the subtle rays, the texturized clouds, the happy kite, the french knot flowers, the hillside, and just the happy free spring feeling....cute! :>

AKiteFlier said...

Fabulous Flap Dana - I LOVE the sunshine rays and your french knots - perfection. What a great way to show off another way to do a flap card. Very unique and creative - just like you.

Courtney Baker said...

Dana oh my goodness this is fabulous! The rays the kite... all so so fun!

Karen B. said...

So pretty and fun and it is amazing to see Courtney's set done up this way. Love the two cloud feature and how the rays go all the way to the bottom. Such a bright and cheery effect!

Maria said...

Dana! That is so awesome! Very cool! Love how you flipped it around and used the flap on bottom!

Lisa Kind said...

Oh Dana, this is over-the-top fabulous! I was wondering how you created your rays of sunshine...I thought it was the dp! Such a clever idea creating a kite scene! So many details to wow over! Love it, Dana! Great use of the flap card!

Unknown said...

This is just fabulous, Dana! I love the scene - the clouds, kite and that flower is wonderful.. and I love how your flap is on the bottom.. so clever!!

Jane said...

YAY!! You got your package!!! And I'm LOVING your card! So sweet and playful!!
xo

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card Dana! I love the embossing clouds & all your little knots so perfectly tied!

Monique said...

What a fun card!! I love to fly kites with my girls.. I never think your to old :)!! TFS!

Inger Harding said...

Such a cute card!!
Love it! :)

greetings, Inger

Elise said...

I just love YOU soooooooooo much.... What an uplifting lil' ditty to accompany SUCH an outstanding and FANTASTIC card creation! YOU's my SHERO! This was a giddy romp of Blog-o-possibility..... {I don't know if that worked} What I'm trying to say, is that this post, TRULY made my day! Truly made me HAPPY to be enjoying the perks of blogging, right beside my MOST talented friend - MAN! You hit, it, baby! OUT OF THE PARK, on that one! YEE HAW!

Laurel said...

Oh that is fantastic!